The festive holiday season brings with it so many activities, parties, packed calendars and oftentimes…far too many late nights! Sleep becomes a luxury during this season of when a lot of extra activities and to-dos are added to an already-busy schedule.
The Only Way You'll Survive is…
Sleep. It's truly the most important gift we can give ourselves. In fact (and it may surprise you to hear me say this) I believe that sleep is even MORE important than your daily workout! Not only does how we sleep set the tone for the entire day, but ongoing sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke.
Did you know when you get less than seven hours of sleep per night your performance decreases? Your lung function decreases, your injury rate increases by 60 percent, and lactic acid buildup increases, causing muscle fatigue and muscle soreness.
Going without sleep for 20 hours is the same on your brain and body as being legally drunk. Our brains practice while we sleep. When you're getting good quality sleep, you're 20-30 times more efficient at a movement you learned the day before.
Essential Sleep Tips
You may have heard some of these tips before…but have you actually tried them? We can easily develop bad habits after a lot of long days but give yourself the GIFT of a good morning, and by extension, a healthier body, soul, and mind.
- Lower the thermostat to 65-72 degrees.
- Stick to a schedule – wake up and go to bed at the same time every day.
- Turn off electronics one hour before bed – try reading a great book!
- Skip your nightcap and drink hot decaffeinated herbal tea, instead.
- Create a wind-down routine – a hot bath, daily beauty regimens, etc.
- Slow-flow yoga poses to wind down the day. Maybe legs-up-the-wall pose and a little meditation?
- Essential Oils in a diffuser.
- Journaling (get the “lists” out of your head and down on paper to “let go”)
- White noise (there are devices and apps out there for exactly this purpose)
Once you're balanced in your body and mind, EVERYTHING changes. Try a handful of the above tips, and give yourself an even playing field this holiday season.
Inspiration and Motivation
As a fitness professional, my vision is to inspire others and give them a life-changing experience by providing lifestyle tips that yield true results and improve their body and spirit. This comes from sincerely caring about each individual and creating a safe, open, and transparent environment.
More than simply sharing knowledge, I want to inspire individuals to live their BEST life. I want those with whom I work to leave feeling like they can do anything in the world – and my hope is that their renewed sense of confidence and motivation will last a lifetime.
To learn more about Jenny Dean Fitness visit www.jennydeanfitness.com?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss, or find more articles by Jenny on our website.